Kirsten Hatfield
    A convicted child killer who was found dead inside his Oklahoma prison cell on January 11 had been beaten and strangled, authorities confirmed.

Anthony Palma, 59, who was found guilty of the 1997 murder of 8-year-old Kirsten Hatfield, died 13 months after arriving at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester as a result of "ligature strangulation and blunt force trauma to the head," the Office of the State Medical Examiner said (via The Associated Press).

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections (DOC) believe Palma's cellmate, also a convicted murderer, was responsible for his killing.

Officials said at the time they believed the nature of Palma's crimes led to him being targeted inside the prison.

"Those who are serving time for victimizing children, they are definitely more vulnerable," DOC spokesman Matt Elliott said, reported the New York Post.

The body of Palma's 8-year-old victim has never been found. She was kidnapped from her home in Midwest City in May 1997.

The case remained unsolved until 2015, when DNA evidence from blood on Hatfield's bedroom window and her underwear found in the backyard were linked to Palma, who lived two doors down. He was convicted of first-degree murder two years later.

Following his death, police said they had planned on interviewing Palma later this year in the hopes of finding out where the girl's body is hidden.

"We're certainly not encouraging violent acts in the penitentiary, but some people would say that he met his justice," Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes told KFOR.

"But our concern is the fact that we've not had closure on this case and we may never have closure because we wanted to find her body and bring her home."

Clabes added he had hoped that Palma would have an "inkling of a conscience" or an "intervention by a higher power" that would have resulted in him finally telling police what he did with Hatfield's body.

The young victim's mother, Shannon Hazen, said she would not be rejoicing in Palma's death.

"God's love and forgiveness got us to Anthony Palma's arrest. It got us through Anthony Palma's arrest. It got us through the trial, and I anticipate it will get us through whatever is next," Hazen told KFOR in January.

"I'm not celebrating his death. I do pray for his family. It's not lost on me that he has family and people that care about him."

Messages In This Thread
Kirsten Hatfield - by jameson245 - 10-18-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Kirsten Hatfield - by jameson245 - 09-26-2020, 11:26 AM
RE: Kirsten Hatfield - by jameson245 - 09-26-2020, 11:28 AM