[Lobby] [Main] [Help] [Search]

jameson's WebbSleuths
Forum Type: Protected
Moderator: jameson
Time Zone: EST

Printer Friendly Format
Original Message

"Similar Crimes?"
Posted by theneedle on Oct-17-99 at 02:02 PM (EST)
Quote:After reading recent newspaper articles on famous unsolved crimes(everyone's local paper seemed to have their own version ,next to their feature "Ramseys Off Hook" type article....God,they are so uncreative), I thought perhaps we could post articles about cases which actually DO resemble the JonBenet murder.I know there is "Boulder area crimes" in our true crime area , but this seems to be a busier area, and I thought perhaps we could discuss more specifically similar crimes.
Check out the Monica DaSilva case.Reno, Nevada,1990.6 yrs old.Abducted from bedroom.Only clue left was pried doorjamb.Parents under suspicion, finally cleared and won lawsuit against media for calling them killers.Child's skeleton found a few months later in desert.Nothing definitive obtained from the site or remains.This case happened only a year after a brother and sister, Chia by name,6&8, vanished after getting off a school bus in Lake Tahoe area.Their skeletons were also found months later.
These are similar cases to Ramsey not only because of the victims ages, but the fact they both happened out West in Rocky Mountain towns.It is not inconceivable that Sick Puppy relocated to Boulder 6 yrs later and became bolder.
http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/reno/932973792.html
http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/reno/939962481.html

[ALERT] [EDIT] [SEND EMAIL] [USER PROFILE]
[REPLY] [REPLY WITH QUOTE] [TOP]

Table of Contents

[Image: home.gif][Image: mainforum.gif]
Messages in this discussion

1 . "another"
Posted by Brimm on Oct-17-99 at 02:47 PM (EST)
Quote:http://www.bouldernews.com/extra/ramsey/...5akid.html

Here is another one. This one in Georgia 1991.

Brimm

[REMOVE] [ALERT] [EDIT] [SEND EMAIL] [USER PROFILE]

2 . "40 unsolved abductions"
Posted by Bluefire on Oct-17-99 at 03:42 PM (EST)
Quote:I have a database with about 40 unsolved non-family abductions of JonBenét aged children listed over the past ten years. I have no idea at all of how many unsolved child homicides there are, nor for that matter how many solved child homicides.
It is very difficult to find any information about these cases beyond the posters on missing children sites. Strangely, a number of abductions clustered around the Rocky Mountain states over a short period of time in the eighties and then, apparently stopped. The girls were mostly 8-12 yrs. old.
The perps, for the cases I've seen solved for JonBenét's age group are mostly acquaintances, neighbors, strangers and step parents.
NCNMEC has a new study of child homicides available free from their site.

3 . "thanks"
Posted by theneedle on Oct-17-99 at 04:34 PM (EST)
Quote:Blue and Brimm.I thought maybe we can stick to cases where a body was actually found.That way we can find out what forensic evidence exists, and if it can be checked against Ramsey.I certainly hope that unsolved child homicide DNA evidence is being saved in a data base somewhere.I do feel as if thats our only hope sometimes.

4 . "needle"
Posted by river on Oct-18-99 at 09:22 AM (EST)
Quote:You're right. There are plenty of other similar crimes. Happens all the time. Why did this case get so much publicity? Rich family, little girl in beauty pageants. Parents appeared on TV. (Big mistake.) Reminded people to much of Susan Smith, and they made an immediate connection. click-click I wonder if the police would have solved the case if the media had kept their nose out of it.

5 . "Jeanna North - Her Killer Escapes"
Posted by Bluefire on Oct-19-99 at 08:02 AM (EST)
Quote:[Image: 0058-usa.jpg]

Jeanna North
Kyle Bell was a neighbor of the Norths when Jeanna disappeared while in-line skating near her home on the night of June 28, 1993. On September 15, 1998. a scumbag named Kyle Bell was charged with murdering her, and convicted of her death. This piece of garbage confessed that he had raped Jeanna and murdered her when she told him that she would tell her parents. He dumped her body in the Sheyenne River near Fargo, North Dakota.
Last week Kyle Bell escaped from a prisoner transport and is apparently free in Texas or Mexico. He has previously lived in Denver. He may have been in jail Christmas, 1996, it is unclear because at one point of time he jumped bail on the molestation charges and ended up in Denver.
Northscape has a number of stories concerning the escape iof this child killer:
http://www.northscape.com/news/sunday.htm
Here is part of the story of this monster from northscape:
Sheriff Mark Milbrandt had dealings with Bell too, "starting in 1983," when Bell was 15 or 16.
"He was convicted of a sex crime here, with a young girl, I believe, and served time in the South Dakota Penitentiary," said Milbrandt, sheriff of Brown County, seated in Aberdeen.
Bell was involved in many offenses, from minor traffic ones, to burglary, assault and the sex crime, Milbrandt said.
His pedophilia, or sexual attraction to young girls, apparently stems back to his youth, too.
Bell grew up in the Bath, S.D., area, north of Aberdeen, near Frederick. His father was physically disabled, confined to a wheelchair. Bell lived mostly with his grandparents in the Bath area.
Connie Groop remembers Bell from his days at high school in Frederick, S.D., just north of Frederick; S.D. Bell, while a junior or senior in the high school, molested a girl in first or second grade on a school bus, said Groop, associate news editor at the Aberdeen American News. "It was a girl in my daughter's class," Groop said Saturday. "That's why I remember it."
The incident, which happened in the mid-1980s, was not brought to law enforcement's attention, but everyone in the community was made aware of it, Groop said.
Bell often was picked on by other youths, too, as well as making trouble himself, Groop said. Bell's parents "had trouble of some kind," Groop said, "and they didn't have and didn't do a lot of things a lot of families do together."
People who knew Bell said he had a charming side, but also a volatile temper that erupted in violence.
By the early 1990s, Bell had fathered children by three different women and owed child support to them, said Harvey Oliver, state's attorney for Brown County, seated in Aberdeen, S.D. When Bell inherited $15,000 from relatives, the state of South Dakota took the money to give to the children, Oliver said. That transaction happened while Bell was in jail in North Dakota in 1993, facing trial for sex crimes.
Bell was convicted in 1994 for molesting two girls, ages 8 and 3, in incidents in which he coaxed them to pose unclothed for suggestive photographs. He was sentenced to 30 years for that and during that trial confessed to killing Jeanna North in Fargo, police say. Milbrandt wasn't suprised when Bell first was suspected in North's death.
Nothing about Bell's escape last week surprises Milbrandt, either. "He was an uncontrollable prisoner. He fought everytime, not physically, but mentally. He wouldn't adhere to anything," Milbrandt said. "You have these special inmates you need to watch, and he was one of them."
Milbrandt has been tipped by law enforcement officials searching for Bell to keep an eye out for him, he might be headed back to Brown County. Bell has an ex-wife in Aberdeen, and likely children, as well as other family members.
"Law enforcement needs to be very careful if they do come in contact with him," Milbrandt said. "He's a dangerous person. He's going to serve life in prison, he's got nothing to lose. That's what scares me."
In my opinion this is the kind of slime ball who murdered JonBenét.

6 . "Not controlled enough"
Posted by mousey on Oct-19-99 at 08:15 AM (EST)
Quote:Same "interests" though.

[REMOVE] [ALERT] [EDIT] [SEND EMAIL]

7 . "Kyle Bell's Denver Trip"
Posted by Bluefire on Oct-19-99 at 09:19 AM (EST)
Quote:You are right Mousey, this slime was in jail in SD at the time anyway.
Nevertheless you can see how easy it is for this sort of monster to move around, set up camp with some woman,.... its a fairly clear picture of the type we are looking for. I suggest that any semi-transients who lived in cheap housing near the Ramseys be investigated. I have always believed that the person who killed JonBenét used a young woman as cover, or as a conspirator. This young woman should perhaps be offered immunity or a light sentence for coming forward at this time?
Bell in Denver
"According to Pederson, Bell is a friendly likable man who showed investigators that he had a temper, but did not appear dangerous."
"Pederson said Bell is smart and could be quick to build a new life somewhere far from North Dakota. He said Bell jumped bail several years ago while he was awaiting trial on the child molestation charges unrelated to the North murder. They found Bell in Denver a few months later, already living with a girlfriend who had a baby of her own.
Pederson said the woman returned with Bell while he stood trial, but returned to her home in Colorado afterward, and likely won't want to have anything to do with Bell."

8 . "Bluefire"
Posted by Misty on Oct-19-99 at 09:29 AM (EST)
Quote:LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-99 AT 09:34 AM (EST)
In your data base, is there a common factor that the children were killed away from the house? In child abductions (pedophiles), the child is usually killed away from the house and the body is found (I think I have this right), on average, within 200 yards of the murder site.

9 . "Neighborhood Perverts"
Posted by Bluefire on Oct-19-99 at 10:14 AM (EST)
Quote:The problem with my data base is that it only includes missing children, or those missing children who have been found or the perp caught, tried and convicted. These are abducted children so by definition they would be further away than 50 feet from the point of abduction. I believe that JonBenét would legally be considered an abducted child under traditional legal definitions if it were proven that she was removed from her bed to the basement by lure or by force, because it is more than 50 feet. Jonbenét was, in the traditional legal definbition, abducted.
But yes, most murdered abducted children are found within a 1/4 mile of their home. Many, for example, are taken to the neighbor's house (where the perp lives, usually semi-transient) which may be accross the street, or to a vacant lot near the house, or to the basement of an apartment, or an abandoned building. Then, unfortunately, there are perps with cars who lure, or grab a child off the street. Often the victim's body is never found in this case. So my data (vanished children) would be biased towards longer distances.
Now I think this brings up an interesting point:
JonBenét was removed from her bed and either lured or carried to the basement which was two floors down in a house the size of a small apartment building. The crime was committed in the basement. It is technically an abduction because the child was mover more than 50 feet to the site where she was assaulted and murdered. Noone has ever reported seeing a suspicious automobile. So I think it might be indicitive of an abduction by someone who lived close by who had no family except a girlfriend (perhaps accompolice)and no automobile.
The question is, what happened at the crime scene to cause the perpetrator to abandon the simple plan of stun gun the child and carry out to his rented space?? the party? the church service? perhaps it began to snow? or JonBenét resisted? Or the female accompolice got paranoid? the scream? something psychological? Some factor we've never considered?
A semi-transient neighbor hiding behind a girlfriend/accompolice (why are these women attracted to such monsters?) could have come from anywhere in the US (or abroad). He could have watched JonBenét and Burke play in the driveway or on the sidewalk, watched the family come and go and know their schedule, that they were rich. it would be easy to reconnitor the house, to break in when he/she they knew the house would be empty, to borrow the pad for an hour and return it. They would know that the Ramseys were lax in keeping the doors locked, might even be aware of where the key was hidden (most people hide their keys in such obvious places... they might as well leave the doors wide open IMO it would be safer). They would have had an opportunity to talk with JonBenét and Burke in what would have seemed an innocent exchange, "Whats your name little girl? Sure is a nice bike.... you know Santa is going to pay you a secret visit... " But how do you spell JonBenét?? Zjohnbenhey? The neighbor didn't know.
This theme of neighbor perverts killing children runs through so very many of these cases, I think, after hearing Maikai's report on the neighborhood, that this particular line of investigation needs to be followed through carefully. I would particularly look at anyone semi-transient whose girlfriend was the alibi.

10 . "Another Mid-Night Burgler?"
Posted by mousey on Oct-19-99 at 11:10 AM (EST)
Quote:LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-99 AT 11:11 AM (EST)
Early morning stabbing reported in Boulder
Boulder Police are investigating a stabbing reported at 3:10 a.m. today at 1444 Folsom St.
The unknown suspect entered the victim's apartment through an unlocked door on a second story balcony. After the attack, the suspect fled in an unknown direction.
The 22-year-old victim is recovering at Boulder Community Hospital. She is reported to be in stable condition.
This is the second incident of a similar nature reported at this apartment complex since August. No suspect has been identified in either incident.
Police are urging residents to lock all doors and windows, and to report any suspicious activity in the area.
Although there is no known connection to other cases in Boulder, detectives will investigate whether today's attack may be related to other, similar incidents.
Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call Boulder Police Detectives at 303-441-3330.

11 . "Rape-murder"
Posted by RHGC on Oct-19-99 at 11:15 AM (EST)
Quote:We had a somewhat similar case in Stamford 1n 1979, though the girl was 15. The rapist killed her when she said she would tell about the incident. I was serving in the state senate at the time and got passage of a bill making rape-murder a capital offense. Otherwise, the penalty for rape was not significantly different from murder and it encouraged the perp to kill the victim.