Tom Trujillo interview
TT:  Okay. Let’s just (inaudible) a little bit. Kind of tell me a little bit about yourself, your background, where you were born, kind of the nuts and bolts kinds of stuff.
PR:  I was born in Parkersburg, West Virginia, November 29, 1956. I attended school there, uh high school. I, I was (noise of someone pouring water, Patsy’s voice is inaudible during that sound) college (inaudible) Charleston, West Virginia and (there is a very loud scraping sound which covers Patsy’s voice) short time (more background noise) and then I moved to Atlanta in the summer of 1979 and was working for McCann Erickson Advertising Agency (inaudible) And in 1980, November, I married my husband, John.
TT;  Okay. So let me back you up just a bit. What high school did you, Parkersburg, Parkersburg High School right?
PR:  Parkersburg High School.
TT:  Okay. What kind of clubs were you in? What kind of activities did you do in high school?
PR:  I was a cheerleader in the 10th grade. I was on the drill team my senior year.
TT:  Drill team?
PR:  Like a, like a dancing, with the band.
TT:  Okay. Not like a . . .(inaudible)
PR:  Pom pom kind of thing, you know, yeah, no.
TT:  Okay.
PR:  Um, I was in student government there.
TT:  Did you hold an office those senior years?
PR:  Uh, I don’t remember.
PR:  I was president of the student body when I was in the 9th grade . . .
PR:  . . .in junior high school. And I was very active in the speech and debate team there and uh, participated regularly in that group.
TT:  Where did you go to college at?
PR:  West Virginia University.
TT:  Okay. And you graduated from there.
PR:  Yes.
TT:  What was your degree in?
PR:  Journalism.
TT:  Okay. How’d you do with that? How’d you do in college with your journalism degree?
PR:  I graduate Magna Cum Laude.
PR:  And uh, my emphasis was in advertising so that’s what I did for a, some short time after I graduated.
TT;  Okay. And you were Miss West Virginia, Miss America about what did year did all that happen?
PR:  1977.
TT:  Okay. That’s during college.
PR:  (Inaudible)
TT:  Okay. Did any scholarships come out of that?
PR:  Yes. I uh, there was some scholarship for winning Miss West Virginia. I can’t remember exactly how much and then at the Miss America pageant I won a non-finalist talent award and I think it was a $2,000 scholarship for that.
TT:  I’ve got to ask which talent.
PR:  (Laughter) “The Kiss of Death” dramatic dialog.
??:  (Laugher)
ST:  (Inaudible) Miss Jean Brody.
PR:  Your right.
TT;  Was that, was that earlier?
PR:  “The Pride of Miss Jean Brody.” Well actual. . . no it wasn’t, actually what happened, uh, I did the Miss Jean Brody, I competed in high school with that and uh, placed nationally with it and then I had done that for Miss West Virginia and won with that and then when you go to Miss America you have to do through this business of um, in the event you make the top ten and your on television there are all these rights and royalties or whatever they call it and uh, I have, they have to give you clearance, okay, and to make a long story short, I was unable to get clearance for this. Uh, I can’t remember exactly the details, but uh, I ended up writing a dialog that I used and I don’t even remember, but it had a lot of the same characterizations and that kind of thing. It was all, I was definitely thrilled when I won the talent, you know, because it was a real chore getting there.
ST:  I bet.
TT:  (Inaudible) Atlanta in ’79 and who did you live with down there?
PR:  I lived with Dan and Claudia McCutcheon.
PR:  Who had been friends from Parkersburg.
TT:  Did you guys move down there together?
PR:  Well, I went to Atlanta with Dan’s sister, Stephanie, who was my age.
PR:  And we had been roommates in college for a year and we went down to visit her brother and sister-in-law . . .
TT:  Um hum.
PR:  . . .who had also gone to high school with us so we were all friend. And um, we went, I think initially for just a short visit and then came back a few weeks later to, and decided to move to Atlanta. Stephanie had gotten a job and, and I was still interviewing with advertising agencies.
TT:  You (inaudible) get a job with Hayes Computers you think?
PR:  No, I, that was much later.
PR:  I had worked with McCann Erickson Advertising Agency.
TT:  Okay, so you worked as an advertiser to start with.
PR:  Right.
TT:  When you first moved to Atlanta you lived in an apartment building?
PR:  Um hum.
TT:  Same place that John lived, is that right?
PR:  Well we were, we were guests at Dan and Claudia.
PR:  You know, kind of sleeping on the couch there.
PR:  In a one bedroom apartment and John lived upstairs.
TT:  Okay. Where was this apartment at? Do you have any idea . . .
PR:  Where was it?
TT;  Yeah. Do you know the address or anything?
PR:  Uh huh. It was Post River Apartments on Talersbury road in Atlanta.
ST:  Downtown Atlanta then?
PR:  No, this was north . . .
TT:  On the outskirts.
PR:  . . .Atlanta. Marietta. Uh huh. But we were only there for just about a month actually . . .
PR:  . . .staying with then.
TT:  All righty. Um, tell me about some of the TV shows you guys watch. You specifically. Uh, say in recent history, last, the last year. What kind of TV shows do you guys watch?
PR:  I don’t watch TV much.
PR:  You guys, who guys?
TT:  You, John, Burke.
PR:  Burke likes Discovery.
TT:  Okay. Discovery Channel?
PR:  He likes the Discovery Channel.
PR:  And John likes the Weather Channel.
PR:  He’s a pilot.
TT:  Is this a, is that because he’s a pilot?
PR:  Yeah. And he watches that, whatever the, you know the thing that runs across the bottom with the stock market . . .
PR:  I don’t know what that is.
TT:  Okay. What’s the. . .
PR:  And he likes old movies.
TT:  Okay. What’s the last book you read?
PR:  Last book I read?
PR:  I am reading right now um, “At Home in Medford” by Jan Carran.
TT:  Okay. What other kind of books do like to read?
PR:  You know, I don’t read a whole lot, because I’m usually so tired by the time I go to bed.
PR:  Um, uh, I’m just drawing a blank.
TT:  Okay. Do you, do you get to the movies at all? Have you been out to see any shows at all?
PR:  Oh, I have . . .
TT:  I, I know it’s difficult in the last couple of months. . .
TT:  . . .because of, of what’s (inaudible).
TT:  Let’s say before December, what kind of movies have you and John gone out to see?
PR:  Well, actually we didn’t go out to movies very much, because we had a home theatre . . .
PR:  . . .so we would usually we’d see everything about a year after it came out.
TT:  Once it came out on video.
PR:  Yeah, but we, you know, the kids liked to watch movies up there . . .
PR:  . . .we watched “Forrest Gump” and . . .
TT:  Do you and John watch movies at all up there?
PR:  Uh, yeah, but I usually fall asleep. He, he usually goes, gets the movies and there not my favorites and I usually fall asleep.
TT:  Okay. What kind of, what kind of movies did he, do you guys end up starting to watch.
PR:  Um, he likes Mel Brooks (water being poured drowns out Patsy’s voice). He liked 1941. He loves animal House. I got him that for Christmas, and uh . . .
TT:  So the kind of comedy type movies.
PR:  Um hum.
A Routine Morning

TT: Patsy, kind of tell me about your, your normal, normal morning routines. You know, how do you get up in the morning? What time do you get up? Get up by alarm clock, the sun? Kind of walk me through what you do normally in the morning?
PR: Now or . . .
TT: Sure. Let’s start now and then we’re, we’ll work back. (Inaudible)
PR: Okay. Uh, now I get up usually a little before seven and uh, get Burke rallied and get him ready for school and get his breakfast and pack his backpack and make sure he has his homework done and tie his shoes and . . .
TT: Get him going?
PR: Get him out the door.
TT: Okay. After Burke gets ready do you get up and shower out and get ready to go for the day?
PR: Uh, sometimes. I mean, I don’t have much that I go . . .
TT: Okay. Don’t have a set schedule.
PR: . . .out to do lately, so . . .
TT: Okay.
PR: Sometimes go back to bed. Sometimes I get dressed.
TT: Okay. Let, Let’s hop way back before Christmas. Kind of walk me through a normal, normal morning for the family, for you guys.
PR: Um, get up and usually I would get up uh, and get showered and get dressed. I didn’t (paper rustling causes Patsy’s voice to be inaudible) get dressed before I got the kids up, but um, get the kids up and, Burke usually, you know, dresses himself if I kind of lay his things out and that kind of stuff, but I would get JonBenet dressed and do her hair and all that and . . .
TT: Get her ready for school.
PR: Get her ready for school. Breakfast.
TT: Okay. Did you have to use an alarm clock to get up or you . . .
PR: No.
TT: (Inaudible) hop out of bed . . .
PR: Yeah, I usually just (paper rustling) get up.
TT: Kind of hop out of bed in the morning person. Can’t do it.
PL: (Laughs)
TT: Not a morning person.
PR: If you get the kids off to school . . .(more paper rustling).