Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
http://jameson245.com/bestnote.htm
Good info on the ransom note.

http://jameson245.com/bestnote.htm

The Text
Mr. Ramsey,
Listen carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your bussiness but not the country that it serves. At this time we have your daughter in our posession. She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter.
You will withdraw $118,000 from your account. $100,000 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills. Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank. When you get home you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you between 8 and 10 a.m. tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we monitor you getting the money early, we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence an earlier pickup of your daughter.
Any deviation of my instructions will result in the immediate execution of your daughter. You will also be denied her remains for proper burial. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them. Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in any way marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies. You can try to deceive us, but be warned we are familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics. You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. Follow our instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back. You and your family are under constant scrutiny, as well as the authorities. Don't try to grow a brain, John. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate us, John. Use that good, southern common sense of yours. It's up to you now, John!
Victory! S.B.T.C

The Note Pad

The Pad belonged to the Ramseys. It was kept on the table in the rear hall.

(missing page info from Thomas?)
Pages 1-12 were missing.
      Pages 13-16 were filled with lists and notes and doodles
      Pages 17-25 were missing - apparently not found in the house
      Page 26 contained the words "Mr. and Mrs. I" and had some ink on it, apparently bleedthrough from
      whatever had been written on page 25.
      Pages 27, 28 and 29 have been positively identified as the pages the ransom note were written on
      No one has said if page 30 had any "bleedthrough" on it or if any other pages were missing.

When John was asked for handwriting samples from both himself and Patsy, he gave them the pads
      from the hall.

There were no fingerprints found on the pad - just one print and that belonged to the CBI examiner.
The Handwriting
What the Experts said
Chet Ubowski, CBI: There is evidence that indicates the ransom note may have been written by Patsy. But the evidence falls short of that necessary to support a definitive conclusion.
Leonard Speckin, private forensic document analyst: "When I compare the handwriting habits of Patsy Ramsey with those in the . . . note, there exists agreement to the extent that some of her individual letter formations and letter combinations do appear in the ransom note. When this agreement is weighed against the number, type and consistency of the differences present, I am unable to identify Patsy Ramsey as the author of the . . . note with any degree of certainty. I am, however, unable to eliminate her as the author."
Edwin F. Alford Jr., private document examiner: "Examination of the questioned handwriting and comparison with the handwriting specimens submitted has failed to provide a basis for identifying Patricia Ramsey as the writer of the letter."
Lloyd Cunningham, Ramsey-hired expert: He cannot identify or eliminate Patsy Ramsey as the author of the ransom note. He spent 20 hours examining the samples and documents and found that there were no significant individual characteristics but many significant differences between Patsy's writing and the note.
Richard Dusak, document analyst for the Secret Service: His study concluded that there was no evidence that Patsy wrote the note.
Howard Rile, Ramsey-hired expert: His opinion is between "probably not" and "elimination" of Patsy Ramsey as the author of the ransom note. He believes that the writer could be identified if earlier writing samples were found.
Larry Ziegler, expert hired by Darnay Hoffman - in an email to jameson - " It was determined and is still determined by myself that Patsy Ramsey is the writer of the ransom note." (He later removed himself from the case.)
I only have the depositions from the following experts and will take their answers from their depositions.
Cina Wong, expert hired by Darnay Hoffman - from her deposition:
Question by Lin Wood: "Well, do you feel that you have eliminated all reasonable doubt about whether Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note?
Answer by Cina Wong: In this case, I highly believe she wrote the note.
Q. And please answer my question.
A. I am sorry.
Q. Do you feel that you have eliminated all reasonable doubt?
A. With the people, the possibilities of who could be involved in this case with the three handwriting samples that were given to me and enormous -- the enormous similarities that Patsy Ramsey's handwriting and the note, yes, I believe she is the writer.
Gideon Epstein, expert hired by Darnay Hoffman - from his deposition
Q. What is your degree of certainty yourself as you sit here today that Patsy Ramsey wrote the note?
A. I am absolutely certain that she wrote the note.
Linguistic Analysis
Was done by Vassar Professor Don Foster but he was, as Steve Thomas put it, "consigned to the DA's junk pile" when his "work" was challenged.
For more details, visit my Foster Page. http://www.jameson245.com/foster_page.htm
POSSIBLE LINKS TO MOVIES AND OTHER TRUE CRIME
Lines in the ransom note were similar to lines in certain movies and true crime notes.
Dirty Harry - "If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekingese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies."
Ransom note - "If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies."
Speed - "Do not attempt to grow a brain."
Ransom note - "Don't try to grow a brain, John."
`PRACTICE' RANSOM NOTE FOUND PORTION OF SECOND NOTE DISCOVERED IN BOULDER HOME OF SLAIN 6-YEAR-OLD

Rocky Mountain News - January 8, 1997
Charlie Brennan
A small portion of a "practice" ransom note was found in the Ramsey home, sources close to the investigation into JonBenet Ramsey's murder revealed Tuesday.
And it appears that the author of the actual three-page handwritten ransom note - which demanded $118,000 in exchange for the 6-year-old beauty princess - appeared at first to try to disguise the handwriting, the sources said. But as the note goes on, the author appears to abandon any attempts to disguise his or her penmanship, they added.
Although the sources declined to say where the second note was found, they said it was not a location that would automatically prove incriminating to residents of the 15-room home of John and Patricia ``Patsy'' Ramsey, JonBenet's parents.

Earlier, it was learned that the complete ransom note was written on paper taken from a legal pad found in the home. The second, partial note came from the same pad, sources said.

Then 3 years later in his 2000 book Steve Thomas wrote a bit more about the practice note. He reports that there was bleedthrough on the practice note from the previous page. He states that the practice note was page 26 and that the ransom note was written on pages 27, 28 and 29:
"Chet Ubowski at the CBI had pulled startling information from the tablet belonging to patsy Ramsey. By comparing tear patterns, Ubowski had determined that the first twelve pages were missing and the next four - pages 13 through 16 - contained doodles and lists and some miscellaneous writing."

"But the next group of pages, 17 through 25, were also missing from the tablet.
The following page, 26, was the practice ransom note (Mr. and Mrs. I), and that page showed evidence of ink bleedthrough from the missing page 25."

"Comparisons of the ragged tops of the ransom note pages with the remnants left in the tablet proved that it had come from pages 27, 28, and 29."

"Furthermore, the ink bleedthrough discovered on page 26 indicated that perhaps still another practice note could have been written on page 25 and been discarded. Two possible practice notes and one real one covering three pages led me to believe that the killer had spend more time in the house composing the ransom note than we originally thought."

"But even more significant, it seemed clear that whoever wrote it was unafraid of being caught in the house. We never found the missing pages."
2000-04-11: “JonBenet, Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation”
by Steve Thomas and Don Davis, April 11, 2000