Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in movies
The following except from Whitson’s book (pg 123) presents an interesting concept regarding movie quotes (or near quotes) found in the Ransom Note…

Based upon modern surveillance equipment and GPS devices, kidnapping for ransom is virtually impossible. How would an offender collect the ransom without being caught? This type of delusional thinking may work in a movie, but not in the real world. This was the premise for the movie Ransom, which was released a few weeks prior to JonBenet's murder. I believe the offender in JonBenet's murder incorporated movies into his fantasy world and he was influenced by the movie Ransom, as well as the following movies that contained quotations in the ransom note
Ransom
The movie Ransom with Mel Gibson was showing in theatres during December 1996. The movie Ransom involved a high-profile executive of a prominent company who was recently in the media. Three people watched over the kidnapped little boy, while he was bound and had duct tape over his mouth. The following phrases were linked to the ransom note and the movie Ransom. (first is the passage from the note then followed by the lines from the movie).
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession… I have your son.
You will withdraw $118,000.00 from your account… No consecutive serial numbers.
$100,000.00 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills… No new bills, no marked bills.
Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank… The money will fit into 2 Samsonite hard shell suitcases, number 260.
Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded… Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him.
If the money is in any way marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies… Do not inform the media or I will kill him. No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him.
I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery… I will contact you in 48 hours.
Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry was a famous Clint Eastwood movie which focused on a psychopathic rapist and killer.
Listen carefully… Now listen to me carefully. Now listen. Listen very carefully.
If we catch you' talking to a stray dog, she dies... If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekingese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies.
The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested... It sounds like you had a good rest. You'll need it.
She dies, she dies, she dies… If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies.
Ruthless People
Listen carefully… Listen very carefully.
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession…We have kidnapped your wife.
You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult… We have no qualms about killing and will do so without provocation.
You and your family are under constant scrutiny as well as the authorities… If you notify the police, she will be killed.
Make sure you bring an adequate size attache to the bank... You will obtain a new black Tourister briefcase model #8104.
She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter… If you deviate from our instructions in any way, she will be killed.
I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery… Will be contacted at 11:00 a.m.
Speed
The movie Speed, with Sandra Bullock, involved an offender who threatened to explode a bus full of passengers, unless he received payment.
You and your family are under constant surveillance as well as the authorities. Don't try to grow a brain, John… You know that I'm on top of you. Do not attempt to grow a brain.
Nick of Time
The movie Nick of Time was on television in Boulder on December 25, 1996, and the movie makes references to "Listen carefully" and "Foreign faction," which are included in the ransom note.

Seven
The movie Seven involves a psychopathic killer, who uses the phrase "proper burial." The ransom note states, ''You will also be denied her remains for proper burial." The movie makes reference to a beheading and the ransom note states, "Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded."

NOTE: I watched the movie and didn't catch the phrases. I brought up a transcript of the movie and searched for Proper burial and beheaded, no match.
Narvinye posted this on reddit

I don't have a detailed theory. For me, it's really difficult to know what to believe when it comes to the JBR case. There are so many conflicting stories and opinions and experts, and people seem to dismiss anything that doesn't fit their own theory about what happened. So I decided to do a little research on the one piece of evidence that the public can easily view -- the ransom note.

I'd previously read that there are a lot of movie quotes in the ransom note. I wanted to check on this myself, so I went to imdb and wikiquotes and started searching. The movie quotes I thought were a close match for the ransom note were these:

"Mr. Stone, listen very carefully. We have kidnapped your wife. We have no qualms about killing her and we'll do so at the slightest provocation ... You are to obtain a new, black, American Tourister briefcase, Model Number 8-1-0-4 ... In it, you will place $500,000 in unmarked, non-sequentially numbered $100 bills ... You will be watched at all phases of execution. If you fail to appear at the designated time, or if any phase is not carried out to our complete satisfaction, it will be considered an infraction of the rules, and your wife will be killed ... If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed." - Ruthless People

"You will transfer one hundred million dollars from Grand Cayman Red Sea trading company to an account I designate ... You alert the media, I launch the gas. You refuse payment, I launch the gas. You've got forty hours, until noon, day after tomorrow, to arrange transfer of the money. I am aware of your countermeasure." - The Rock.

"If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies. If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies ..." and "All right, now listen and listen very carefully." and "It sounds like you had a good rest. You'll need it." - Dirty Harry

"Do not attempt to grow a brain." - Speed

"It's up to you." and "Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him." and "Do not inform the media or I will kill him." and "No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him." - Ransom

I also found this definition on Wikipedia: "A political faction is a group of individuals ..."

All of these quotes have something in common. They're all ransom demands from movies. The ransom note used them with slight changes, like "stray dog" in place of "Pekinese". Based on this, I'm guessing that almost all of the ransom note is movie quotes, and that I haven't been able to locate the rest of quotes because they're from more obscure movies that aren't quoted frequently and don't have quotes entered at places like imdb. I'm also guessing that whoever wrote the ransom note wanted to use a quote using the word "faction" but didn't know what the word meant, so he looked it up and used part of the definition for faction in the ransom note.

Both "The Rock" and "Ransom" were released in 1996 and "Ransom" was still playing in theatres. According to Rotten Tomatoes, neither movie was available yet on DVD.

To me, all of this suggests preplanning, perhaps months of preplanning, unless the ransom note writer was some sort of savant who had seen a lot of movies and remembered every line of dialogue. He must have watched these movies over and over again until he had the relevant bits of dialogue memorized, and maybe he even took notes. Perhaps he'd done so much research on ransom demands that when he wrote the note, he wanted to make sure he got in as much as possible, which is why the note is so long. I'm also guessing that anything he brought with him, i.e. duct tape, cord, etc. was something that he'd seen in a movie.

What I don't have a guess about is whether the killer was doing research by watching movies, or whether he was some sort of Son-of-Sam killer who thought that the movies were making him carry out instructions.
DIRTY HARRY
"If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies. If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies ..." and "All right, now listen and listen very carefully." and "It sounds like you had a good rest. You'll need it." 
COMPARISON TO RAMSEY
Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry was a famous Clint Eastwood movie which focused on a psychopathic rapist and killer.
Listen carefully… 
Now listen to me carefully. Now listen. Listen very carefully.
If we catch you' talking to a stray dog, she dies... If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekingese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies.
The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested... It sounds like you had a good rest. You'll need it.
She dies, she dies, she dies… If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies.

NICK OF TIME
The movie Nick of Time was on television in Boulder on December 25, 1996, and the movie makes references to "Listen carefully" and "Foreign faction," which are included in the ransom note.

RANSOM - 1996
"It's up to you." and "Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him." and "Do not inform the media or I will kill him." and "No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him."
COMPARISON TO RAMSEY
The movie Ransom with Mel Gibson was showing in theatres during December 1996. The movie Ransom involved a high-profile executive of a prominent company who was recently in the media. Three people watched over the kidnapped little boy, while he was bound and had duct tape over his mouth. The following phrases were linked to the ransom note and the movie Ransom. (first is the passage from the note then followed by the lines from the movie).
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession… 
I have your son.
You will withdraw $118,000.00 from your account… 
No consecutive serial numbers.
$100,000.00 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills… 
No new bills, no marked bills.
Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank… 
The money will fit into 2 Samsonite hard shell suitcases, number 260.
Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded… 
Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him.
If the money is in any way marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies… 
Do not inform the media or I will kill him. No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him.
I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery… 
I will contact you in 48 hours.

RUTHLESS PEOPLE
"Mr. Stone, listen very carefully. We have kidnapped your wife. We have no qualms about killing her and we'll do so at the slightest provocation ... You are to obtain a new, black, American Tourister briefcase, Model Number 8-1-0-4 ... In it, you will place $500,000 in unmarked, non-sequentially numbered $100 bills ... You will be watched at all phases of execution. If you fail to appear at the designated time, or if any phase is not carried out to our complete satisfaction, it will be considered an infraction of the rules, and your wife will be killed ... If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed." 

A comparison to the Ramsey ransom note:
Listen carefully… Listen very carefully.
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession…We have kidnapped your wife.
You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult… We have no qualms about killing and will do so without provocation.
You and your family are under constant scrutiny as well as the authorities… If you notify the police, she will be killed.
Make sure you bring an adequate size attache to the bank... You will obtain a new black Tourister briefcase model #8104.
She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter… If you deviate from our instructions in any way, she will be killed.
I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery… Will be contacted at 11:00 a.m.

THE ROCK - 1996
"You will transfer one hundred million dollars from Grand Cayman Red Sea trading company to an account I designate ... You alert the media, I launch the gas. You refuse payment, I launch the gas. You've got forty hours, until noon, day after tomorrow, to arrange transfer of the money. I am aware of your countermeasure." 

SEVEN
The movie Seven involves a psychopathic killer, who uses the phrase "proper burial." The ransom note states, ''You will also be denied her remains for proper burial." 
The movie makes reference to a beheading and the ransom note states, "Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded."

SPEED  
COMPARISON TO RAMSEY
Do not attempt to grow a brain.  You and your family are under constant surveillance as well as the authorities. 
Don't try to grow a brain, John… You know that I'm on top of you. Do not attempt to grow a brain.