announcing appointment

Maris Herold Named New Boulder Police Chief

Maris Herold is the Boulder Police Department's first female police chief.
BOULDER, CO — Maris Herold has been named the new chief of the Boulder Police Department. She's the University of Cincinnati Police Chief, and is set to begin her new job in Boulder April 20.
"We considered five very strong candidates, including two internal candidates, who were well qualified to be a chief," Boulder City Manager Jane Brautigam said in a statement. "I am very appreciative to community members and partners who worked with city staff and the police department to evaluate candidates, attend public presentations and discuss community visions and opportunities with the candidates. I am very pleased with the quality of applicants and am confident that Maris brings the right mix of experience, leadership and vision for Boulder."
Chief Herold has 23 years of experience with the Cincinnati Police Department and holds a bachelor's degree in Sociology from Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida, and a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Before joining the Cincinnati Police Department, she began her career in social work, serving as a sexual assault investigator and as a psychiatric intake worker in a juvenile mental health facility. She is a graduate of the FBI National Academy, Police Executive Research Forum's Senior Management Institute for Police in Boston, and Cincinnati's Regional Chamber of Commerce Executive Leadership Course.
She has received numerous awards for her community collaboration, police reform, and large-scale problem-solving projects to reduce crime and improve services for at-risk populations. Most recently, her Cincinnati crime reduction initiative was awarded the international 2017 Herman Goldstein Award for Excellence in Problem Oriented Policing.
Subscribe
She received the Ohio's 2019 Fraternal Order of Police award recognizing her successful police reform efforts, including diversity-focused recruiting initiatives and innovative technologies to improve police decision-making. She has also received several community awards, including the 2016 Cincinnati Collaborative Agreement Award and Problem-Solving Award, sponsored by numerous community organizations, including the Black United Front, ACLU, and FOP.
"I am excited to represent the police department and the community as Boulder's Police Chief," Herold said in a statement. "While we have some community challenges and healing ahead of us, I believe Boulder has excellent officers and staff dedicated to public safety and who are sincerely interested in partnering with the community to ensure the highest standards and an equitable approach to local policing."
Herold will earn a salary of $185,000 and is eligible for up to $100,000 in home assistance to live within the City of Boulder. She will begin her new position April 20 after a successful third-party law enforcement background check and provisional certification by the Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training.