Jana Petersen, Media Relations, (303) 441-3090
Jennifer Bray, Media Relations, (303) 441-3090
City Web site: www.bouldercolorado.gov
Ramsey Case New Release Index
NEWS
Ramsey case update #81
Chief Mark Beckner responds to media questions
about Lou Smit's television appearance
In response to questions about Lou Smit and his Ramsey case theories, the Boulder Police Department believes it would be improper to debate the merits of the evidence in the public arena.
Both Police and District Attorney investigators have been aware of Lou Smit's theories and interpretation of the evidence since 1997. Lou Smit left the investigation in the fall of 1998 and has not been involved for the last 2 ½ years of ongoing investigation. The case and development of evidence has changed significantly over that period of time.
"We certainly do not know what Mr. Smit hopes to accomplish, but we do not wish to have public debate about what evidence we do and do not have," Chief Mark Beckner said. "We will simply continue to do the work we've been doing."
  • Current facts and figures related to the investigation are as follows:
  • Number of people formally interviewed to date:
    More than 600.
    Note: Many have been interviewed more than one time.
  • Number of outside experts and consultants utilized to date:
    More than 60.
  • Number of persons investigated as possible suspects to date:
    About 140.
  • Number of items of evidence logged into property to date:
    About 1,400.
  • Approximate size of investigative case file to date:
    About 40,000 pages.
  • Number of phone tips: About 5,200
  • Number of letters received in reference to Ramsey case:
    More than 3,500.
  • Number of states investigation has taken Boulder Police to: 17
There will be no further comments by the Police Department.
---CITY--
So they really never ever took not one thing Lou said and
Looked into it? ?
(01-31-2017, 10:06 PM)Stellar Wrote: So they really never ever took not one thing Lou said and
Looked into it? ?

Nope I believe they called Lou Smits file the bullshit file. Infuriating to say the least. Minds were made up.  Angry
Lou Smit gave the police and DA's office lists of suspects, leads and other information he thought they needed to seriously investigate. He was confident if they did they could solve the case fairly quickly. That means knocking on doors, checking alibis, taking DNA samples and processing them. He died knowing they had NOT followed up on his suggestions - if they had done anything, he would have heard something. You know, if I turn in a family member or co-worker to Lou, I would be watching to see if that person was ever contacted by investigators - - and if they were I would call LOU! That's just how it works, common sense. Instead tipsters were telling Lou that they got the brush-off and no one was knocking on those doors. Sad.