A thread on the book
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/jonbenet...E5Q1BVDTA6

Includes lots of quotes
OK, so we know in the beginning, the Ramseys asked their friends not to give interviews, be public. This was largely in response to the public reaction to their early CNN interview that the BORG police, media and Internet posters twisted to hold against both John and Patsy.

There came a time when Linda McLean and a couple others decided enough was enough. John's friend, Jim Marino, went public and defended his friend and Linda McLean went to Patsy and FINALLY got permission to write a book. Patsy's friends were eager to contribite and this is the result.

This is the last paragraph of the introduction:

We are a variety of people of different ages from different parts of the country who are coming together with one common bond: WE BELIEVE IN PATSY AND JOHN RAMSEY WITH ALL OUR HEARTS. We have faith in human reason. We have faith in normal people.We believe that when you ger to know Patsy and John you will realize how wonderful they are. You will know in your heart that this father did not kill his little girl. You will know in your soul that this mother did not kill her baby.

Next some words from Susan Storck Ross. Patsy's mother, Nedra, worked for Susan's father. She grew up knowing Nedra and spoke about visiting with Nedra after the murder, after all JonBenet's family had been vilified in the press.

"I recently had lunch with Nedra. She worries about her daughter and wishes Patsy would rest more. She talked about John lovingly, as though he was a son, not just a son-in-law. We remembered how it was over 40 years ago and wondered why things had to happen as they do. Her hands were gnarled from arthritis but she still had that beautiful smile thaat I remembered so well. I cried for her, for all that she has had to face and for what is yet to come." Susan spoke of her own loss of a son, and then said, "...it's beyond my comprehension to think that the media would hound the Ramseys and the Paughs during their grief. It's beyond my understanding how reporters can attack and try to destroy other members of the family. I know in my heart that they are wonderful people and I send them my prayers."

Linda discusses Patsy's high school years and describes Patsy as a hard worker, a good student who was a joiner, liked competition but was also willing to help others achieve their dreams. Her family was supportive of all three girls, and that included pageant involvement. She was liked by her classmates, one of 4 students chosen by the class to speak at graduation.

And that leads to the first supportive statements from a classmate, Diane Dunn McClure.

A long quote is in the book, I will hit the highlighta here. They became good friends when Diane moved into Patsy's neighborhood. That was the 7th grade and their friendship went on until Patsy passed. Diane said, "... her children were her life."

The last paragraph of her interview:
I think in my heart that people would probably not be questioning Patsy and John if it were not for Susan Smith'a murder of her two sons. That story destroyed out trust in her as a mother and we were betrayed by her plea of innocence. But I am here to shout that Patsy is not that mother! She is not capable of anything like this. She is a good, warm, kind person - the very best! We all love her. And P, we always have been and always will be here for you!
Page6 is a letter from graduating Patsy to her teacher, Linda McLean. She comments on how Linda's "get up and go" made a difference in her senior year. She makes it clear she hopes to be friends with her teacher for years to come. Patsy wants to be there when Linda and her husband build a family. I am including this to show some of Patsy's personality. She valued people, relationships, friendships.

#6 Saturday Jan 7
Next is a bit from Patsy's cousin, Debbie Shepler Krieg. She starts out talking about how close she was to Patsy, Polly and Pam, about their very normal and happy childhood together. She and Patsy were especially close since they were born just weeks apart. This is what she has to say about Patsy: 

"...she was fair and generous and loving with everyone she met. She didn't get angry -- or gossip -- or hold a grudge -- or wish ill will to anyone. Everyone loved Patsy because she was just plain good! And she's the same today as she was then. I am not saying this because of the book. I am repeating what I have said many, many times: Patsy is the best and kindest person I have ever known."

Judy Mason Schoch met Patsy in the fourth grade and ended up growing up with her - went to college together, joined the same sorority. He is someone who knew Patsy well. Said Patsy was a "nice person", "not the least bit stuck up", "sweet and a little corny". 

This is the last paragraph in her interview:

It is agony to see a friend of yours go through something like this -- to deal with such a tragedy and then all of the publicity.... people talking, accusing, drawing their own conclusions without knowing the facts. I hate to go to the grocery store because of the junk printed about the Ramseys. I hope P-Paugh feels my thoughts and prayers -- that's all I can give her at this time. Except that I can publicly proclaim my absolute faith in the wonderful little girl, the loyal high school teammate, the college sister, the faithful college survivor and the terrific mother I know as my friend, P-Paugh!"

Patsy had been crowned Miss West Virginia and was going to compete for Miss America. Linda McLean was her friend and helped her prepare for that event. Linda writes that "... she had SOMETHING SPECIAL and the judges saw it. She was as unpretentious and real as anyone you could meet. I think you can tell when someone is genuine, when her smile is sincere, when her heart is generous. That's what everyone who meets her thinks of Patsy."

Throughout the book, Linda is making a point:
"There is no dark side here -- no built up hostility or examples of deviant behavior. There's nothing to look back on which might cause someone to later become a monster. She was a talented young lady with a loyal family and good friends. This is just another chapter in the life of someone who was good and kind and genuine and generous and happy. And she made others happy."

Betty Smith was Patsy's official chaperone during her run for the Miss America crown. Betty and her husband Jim wrote a note to be included in the book and these are their words:

"All the years we have known Patsy, she has been one of the kindest and most generous persons we know. " "I do not know anyone who doesn't admire or like her." "...we love Patsy and know for sure she had nothing to do with the murder."

The book was originally intended to be a place for friends to speak out, but when Patsy's sisters heard about it, they wanted to be included so in Chapter 4, there is a lot from Pam and Paulette. Clearly they supported their sister and John. I will pick a few lines to share.

Pam said,
"Did we argue like most siblings? No. But it wasn't because I didn't try. It's just that it takes two to argue and Patsy wouldn't. From childhood she's been one of those peacemakers who seem to have the ability to calm a storm. I can't remember hearing her yell; I have often envied her inner peace. She is more than just polite; she doesn't like to see anyone upset and would rather give in than fight."

There are pages of memories, she clearly loved her sister, not just as a sister but as a friend.

On John, Pam writes, "He is non-judgemental, he is fair; he always looks for the positives in other people." "WE have gone through the best of times and the worst of times and I have witnessed what a truly remarkable man he is." "... a thoughtful and caring man."

She ends describing Patsy as "... the daughter every mother wishes she had, the wife every man dreams of, the mother every child deserves."

Paulette is called Polly by her sisters and her letter to Linda is a sweet peek into Patsy's tween years. Polly speaks of Nedra putting her three girls in the car, making a round of Senior Centers where the girls would perform. If Polly was old enough to have an act with a "talking dog", Patsy would have been 10-12 years old. Patsy would dance, Pam would sing and Polly had the animal act. Natural entertainers, comfortable in front of all kinds of people, these people enjoyed making others smile.

She notes the time when the family faced Patsy's serious cancer fight, tells how it was Patsy comforting her, telling Polly everything would be OK, to have faith.

She describes Patsy as a "wonderful mother and aunt, a best friend."

Claudia McCutcheon was married and living in Atlanta with her husband when his sister, Stephanie, and her friend Patsy came for a visit. They introduced the girls to the man living upstairs in the apartment complex - and so John and Patsy met.

"I realize parents are sometimes suspected in cases like this, but I couldn't believe it when some of the media began to take it seriously. The possibility that it would go this far was beyond me. I had faith that the police would soon discover how good these two people are and they would get on with finding the real murderer. But they didn't.
That's why I want to finally speak out. People need to know the truth. For too many months, people have only heard one side. It is so frustrating. The truth doesn't sell newspapers. So I just have to say I would give all that I own for the world to know that these wonderful, unselfish people could not have been involved in any way. They are good people. They are good friends."

Marcia Shurley knows the Ramseys from their lives in Atlanta, starting out in a church group for couples. The met in the 1980's and reconnected after the murder when the Ramseys moved back to Atlanta.

"You just feel better when you are with her. She is always aware of what is going on in others' lives. She is always ready to share the load." " 'Sincerity" is a word that describes her well." "She is the same wonderful person we met over 15 years ago and we would do anything to ease her pain."

"Patsy has a gift of giving. She encourages others to give just by her example. It's like a magical effect. And she never wants the credit. She is selfless, making an effort to include everyone and wanting to give others credit." "She may not be a saint, but she is as close to one as I have seen."

Another friend from church, Mary Justice, shared more about Patsy and her faith, their friendship. Patsy went above and beyond to help Mary when she (Mary)was battling her cancer. She wrote, "I can't believe that anyone would think Patsy could have been involved in any way." and " I believe in her with all my heart and soul."

Regina Orlick told of meeting Patsy at their sons' school. Regina was new to the area and wore jeans to a school meeting - a bad choice and she felt very out of place. Patsy introduced herself and they have been friends since. 

"She always thinks of others; she is always willing to give of herself. With all that she's been through, she is still willing to open up and trust other people. She still believes that people, in general, are good." "She is such a good mom. She never raises her voice (like I do). She is patient and kind and fun to be around."

"She is one of the least pretentious people I have ever met; she's so real. There's no phoniness or arrogance about her. Once I saw the kind of person she really is, I thought, "If only people knew this person I have come to know, they would realize that she couldn't be involved with anything like the media implies." I have had friends in New York, who upon learning I am friends with Patsy, have asked me, "Are you sure?" YES, I am absolutely sure about her!!"

"Patsy is a beautiful, unselfish soul. You meet so few people like this in your life. I feel blessed to know her."

Melinda Ramsey

I've never called her mother, because I already have a wonderful mother; I call her Patsy. But I think of her as my "special mom". I first met Patsy when I was 7 or 8 years old, after my parents had been divorced for a couple of years. For some reasons, one of my first impressions was that she seemed so full of energy. As we got to know each other, we grew very close and still are. We are not related by blood but we are related by love.

"Patsy was always so much fun to be around! I vividly remember the family playing Bingo and Charades together. When it was our birthday, she always made a fuss. This was our "special day' and the birthday child was the center of attention. Patsy was always interested in whatever I was doing at school. I remember when I ran for student council in junior high, she helped me make posters and buttons and practice my speech. Patsy always thinks of others. She always puts other people's feelings, wants and needs above her own. It makes her happy to make other people happy. And that's what makes her so special.

I've never called her mother, because I already have a wonderful mother; I call her Patsy. But I think of her as my "special mom". I first met Patsy when I was 7 or 8 years old, after my parents had been divorced for a couple of years. For some reasons, one of my first impressions was that she seemed so full of energy. As we got to know each other, we grew very close and still are. We are not related by blood but we are related by love.

Patsy was always so much fun to be around! I vividly remember the family playing Bingo and Charades together. When it was our birthday, she always made a fuss. This was our "special day' and the birthday child was the center of attention. Patsy was always interested in whatever I was doing at school. I remember when I ran for student council in junior high, she helped me make posters and buttons and practice my speech. Patsy always thinks of others. She always puts other people's feelings, wants and needs above her own. It makes her happy to make other people happy. And that's what makes her so special.

I know it's hard to be a step-parent. You are somewhere in the middle - like a "fill-in". But Patsy was always genuinely glad to see us; she treated us like her own children. It meant a lot to me as a child when she introduced me to people as "my daughter, Melinda". She didn't make the distinction of step-child. But she also didn't cross the line and try to become our mother. She didn't discipline us. For my upcoming wedding, she and my mother are working as a team. Patsy helped Mom select the invitations and organize my engagement party. I know I am fortunate to have a family like this

On day as we were driving in the car, Dad asked, "What would you think about having another brother or sister?" It really caught me off-guard and I was shocked; I guess I just never thought about it. But I was really happy and when Burke and JonBenét were born, it was so exciting! They were both so much fun to be around. Burke liked to play with John Andrew, always looking for him to play matchbook cars, etc. JonBenét and I liked to paint together or play dress up. Each year we colored Easter eggs and we had a Christmas tradition of baking cookies together.

Since I grew up in Georgia, I wasn't used to snow. One day in Boulder, there were little patches of snow on the ground and JonBenet went out to "build a snowman". I soon realized it would be almost impossible to do this with the little bit of snow that was left. But JonBenet was determined. "I know we can do it!" And so, of course, we worked and worked until we had a two-foot-high snowman. I'd do anything to make her happy.

One of my strongest memories is how she always ran to greet me. Her pig tails were flying, her hands were outstretched and she screamed, "Be-winda, Be-winda." It is this memory that I cherish the most.

It breaks my heart to see these horrible accusations being made about Dad and Patsy. They are wonderful parents! Patsy helped raise Beth and John Andrew and me. I watched them with Burke and JonBenet. I know! And yet people who don't know them who have never even met them, are saying absolutely horrible things! They have no right to!!

I'm their daughter. I've lived under the same roof as them. I've had the same parents as JonBenet. I have such a hard time understanding why the public refuses to believe me -- why my word just isn't enough.

I'm glad Dad and Patsy are strong people. They have withstood a lot and they can withstand this too. But it isn't fair. It just isn't fair.

(Melinda was crying as the interview ended)

John Andrew

I was very young when Dad met Patsy and I don't remember much about the first years. I know I was comfortable in both homes and, although I knew Patsy wasn't my mom, she had that role when I was with her and my dad. She encouraged us in our activities but never pushed us into anything. She was interested in all that I did , whether it was Boy Scouts, sports or school activities. I have good memories of growing up. It's not just the vacations and special times, but it's the general everyday things that made a loving and caring family relationship.

I am 10 years older than Burke, but we can still enjoy Play Station together! I was 14 years older than JonBenet and I loved her very much.... we made lemonade together. I know it is accurate to call them "half" brother and sister, but none of us has ever felt we have half a relationship. Burke and JonBenet are my brother and sister. They've never called me "half" brother, they call be "big" brother.

And I resent having to even talk about Dad and Patsy like this I don't see a need to defend our family. Why do we keep having to say we are a normal family? The outlandish, false things that are said are just what the media has made up about us. There is nothing previously in our lives to indicate that we are anything but a loving family yet we have to keep defending ourselves. Dad and Patsy are great parents. What else can I say?