Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The head injury - graphic image
    click on image to enlarge

From the autopsy: "The scalp is covered by long blonde hair which is fixed in two ponytails, one on top of the head secured by a cloth hair tie and blue elastic band, and one in the lower back of the head secured by a blue elastic band. No scalp trauma is identified. The external auditory canals are patent and free of blood.The eyes are green and the pupils equally dilated. The sclerae are white. The nostrils are both patent and contain a small amount of tan mucous material."

and after the scalp is opened,
"On removal of the skull cap there is found to be a thin film of subdural hemorrhage measuring approximately 7-8 cc over the surface of the right cerebral hemisphere and extending to the base of the cerebral hemisphere.The 1450 gm brain has a normal overall architecture. Mild narrowing of the sulci and flattening of the gyri are seen. No inflammation is identified.There is a thin film of subarachnoid hemorrhage overlying the entire right cerebral hemisphere. On the right cerebral hemisphere underlying the previously mentioned linear skull fracture is an extensive linear area of purple contusion extending from the right frontal area, posteriorly along the lateral aspect of the parietal region and into the occipital area. This area of contusion measures 8 inches in length with a width of up to 1.75 inches. At the tip of the right temporal lobe is a one-quarter by one-quarter inch similar appearing purple contusion. Only very minimal contusion is present at the tip of the left temporal lobe. This area of contusion measures only one-half inch in maximum dimension."

The blow to her head would have been a fatal injury.  The fact that the coroner (and everyone else who saw her body) had no idea there was such an injury indicates there was no obvious swelling, bruising.  In fact the coroner had no idea she had the head injury until he exposed the skull during the autopsy.  The written autopsy indicates very little bleeding and THAT tells us she was hit in the head VERY CLOSE to the time she died.  Otherwise there would have been a lot more bleeding into the skull, bruising, possible bleeding from her eyes, nose, ears and mouth.

Lou Smit and others believe the garrote was cutting off the flow of blood to the head and that limited the amount of bleeding from the head injury.

THAT should make the BORG  (Bent on Ramsey Guilt) who are holding the theory that the head blow came a half to full hour before the garrote was put on her as staging or to "finish her off" think twice.   That theory just does not fit the physical evidence.
This one fact was the the one that changed me from RDI to IDI... I wish all the BORG out there could see this the way we do! Which, to be honest, some probably do and are to afraid to stray from their "leaders" to admit it! Thank you, Jameson, for showing me where to get the correct case information and for answering some of my silly questions!
There really are no silly questions. The only way for this to ever be solved is for people to be willing to look at the evidence honestly and then DEMAND that more questions to be asked.

To me, a big problem is the LIES people are so willing to put out there and defend. I mean, Kolar was so bold he included in his book the letter from his boss, the District Attorney, saying his book was full of misinformation, a fantasy not supported by the evidence. Kolar had to be laughing as so many took up his flag and fought for his theory - - still do.

Sadly, I feel sure Lin Wood will never sue all those who would tell such lies - because he is in it for the money and some of those liars just don't have deep pockets. And just as sadly I feel sure he won't make CBS answer any questions publicly in court to set the record straight but will settle because in his world, money talks loudly.

There is a theory that the damage has already been done, Burke can never get his reputation back, so why not take the cash. I am sure it will be a large sum. But I would rather see the truth exposed than a settlement.
(02-14-2017, 05:51 PM)jameson245 Wrote: There really are no silly questions.  The only way for this to ever be solved is for people to be willing to look at the evidence honestly and then DEMAND that more questions to be asked.

To me, a big problem is the LIES people are so willing to put out there and defend.  I mean, Kolar was so bold he included in his book the letter from his boss, the District Attorney, saying his book was full of misinformation, a fantasy not supported by the evidence.  Kolar had to be laughing as so many took up his flag and fought for his theory - - still do.  

Sadly, I feel sure Lin Wood will never sue all those who would tell such lies - because he is in it for the money and some of those liars just don't have deep pockets.  And just as sadly I feel sure he won't make CBS answer any questions publicly in court to set the record straight but will settle because in his world, money talks loudly.

There is a theory that the damage has already been done, Burke can never get his reputation back, so why not take the cash.  I am sure it will be a large sum.  But I would rather see the truth exposed than a settlement.
I agree Jameson! Fight this tooth & nail to the bitter end. By settling it only shows BORG it's about the money as opposed to the truth.
Cyril Wecht: "If you inflict a blow like that on someone whose heart is beating," he asserts, "the heart doesn't stop, because the cardiac and respiratory centers are at the base of the brain. You're not damaging that with a blow to the top of the head. It'll become compromised as the brain swells, but initially there's no compromise. They control your heart and lungs. The heart continues to beat. The blood continues to flow. But in the Ramsey case, they got less than a teaspoon and a half of blood. If you have a beating heart and the carotid arteries are carrying blood, this person doesn't die right away. That means that blow was inflicted when she was already dead or dying."

(He is not one of my favorite witnesses since he played BORG witness in Geraldo Rivera's mock trial. But he is right on this.)
From Newsweek 3/19/2000

Another key part of the police case--that JonBenet had been struck on the head, then strangled to throw off police--also didn't add up in Smit's view. The autopsy showed signs she struggled while being strangled, something she couldn't have done if she'd been dealt a skull-crushing blow. The massive skull fracture barely bled, a sign that she was already near death from strangulation at the time she was struck.
I have never seen a photo in which I could see the claw/struggle marks, but I accept the conclusion of so many others that they are there. I am trying to make sense of the garrotte and head injury, and other autopsy evidence, and I'm wondering about the location of those marks.  I am coming to the conclusion that JBR was strangled first (the first, lower furrow), not fatally but enough to restrict the blood flow to her brain. With that blood flow still constricted (perhaps by holding the noose of the garrotte in place), the head blow was inflicted. This did not kill her immediately, but also did not bleed inside her skull very much because of the constricted blood flow. Then, to finish her off, a viciously brutal amount of pressure was applied to the noose, creating the fatal furrow wound where the cord was found embedded into her neck.

It seems to me, if that scenario is correct, that the struggle/claw marks would be from the first episode of strangling, and would be above the first furrow but very near it, and below the second. The head injury would have, in this scenario, probably rendered JBR incapable of significant struggle, although I believe that the self-preservation instinct is so deeply embedded into our lower, reptilian brain that she could have been only slightly conscious and still struggled to some extent against strangulation.

Thoughts? Location of the struggle/claw marks?
(02-21-2017, 01:59 AM)meibomius Wrote: I have never seen a photo in which I could see the claw/struggle marks, but I accept the conclusion of so many others that they are there. 

Here's a photo.  Marks from what appear to be her nails are above and below the ligature.  (However, that's just IMHO.) http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/a...1256063809
(02-21-2017, 03:36 AM)ICA4Now Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 01:59 AM)meibomius Wrote: I have never seen a photo in which I could see the claw/struggle marks, but I accept the conclusion of so many others that they are there. 

Here's a photo.  Marks from what appear to be her nails are above and below the ligature.  (However, that's just IMHO.) http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/a...1256063809

Hmm, I hadn't recognized those marks as being fingernail marks from struggling, but looking again, I guess they are. I'd always assumed they were just scattered additional petechial hemorrhaging. In this photo, I only see marks that appear to be associated with the final position of the cord, but looking at a few other angles on the same site, I can see some marks that appear associated with the lower ligature mark. It appears she did struggle while the cord was in its final position, but now that I think about it, there's no reason to conclude that the cord wasn't already there (rather than the lower, initial position) at the time of the head blow. I still conclude that the strangulation overlapped the head blow (began before, continued afterward, and was the ultimate cause of death).

I've heard some hypothesize (I think you might have been one at some point) that the ligature strangulation started as a sex game, playing with near-unconsciousness as some people do, either auto-erotically or with a partner. I don't tend to accept this, as the pleasure of breath play is experienced by the one being near-strangled, and even a deranged, sexually deviant pedophile isn't terribly likely to believe that a terrified, struggling six year-old is experiencing erotic pleasure from the near-unconsciousness. At least I don't think it's likely. But a deranged, sexually-deviant pedophile who is also sadistic and homicidal is likely to conflate molestation of a child with the thrill (and perhaps necessity) of killing the victim, both of which would be for his pleasure, not hers.

[Off-topic, but any time this subject comes up, I feel a responsibility to do a PSA and warn people of the grave dangers of breath play. I knew someone (friend of a friend) who was accidentally killed by her boyfriend about ten years ago during such a game, entirely accidentally. He left a note and hanged himself afterward. Whatever thrill such a practice might bring is not worth the risk, as even with experienced practitioners like this couple it can accidentally lead to tragedy.]
On Dec 19, 2019 - I asked this question to an actual brain surgeon:

You have seen the photo of JBR's skull, the blow to the head was massive but her skin was not broken. The coroner did not even realize she had been hit in the head until he opened her up - - and this part upsets me so apologize for bluntness. If she had not been very close to death at that time,- if the garrote had not been pulled tight, do you think she would have bled from her eyes, ears, nose or mouth? I think so, how could it not bleed if her heart was pumping?

This was his answer:

I think this speaks more to the intent behind your question, actually.

Even if her heart was pumping at the time, there’s no path for blood to extrude from the brain or the skull cavity through the eyes or mouth. That’s only in the movies.

The brain is contained in a thick, leathery sac called the ‘dura’ (because it’s ‘durable’ and hard to break ) and the dura also connects firmly to the inside of the skull at several points. Even if there was a lot of pressure from the heart pumping blood into the skull, it would not go through the eyes and mouth. It would have to break the dura to do that. That would require a lot of force. But it just wouldn’t have happened in this case.

Instead, what would happen is that the accumulating blood, if it didn’t leak out into the hole/crack at the top of the skull, it would start squishing the brain. The increase in pressure would start squeezing out the cerebrospinal fluid ‘csf’, the special fluid that bathes the brain on the outside, and fills the brain on the inside inside special tubes called ‘ventricles’. The csf wouldn’t come out of the eyes or mouth either because it’s stuck inside the dura. Instead, the csf fluid would get pushed downward and exit through a big hole at the bottom of the skull called the ‘foramen magnum’, travel down the spine from the top of the neck to the low back to a reservior called the ‘lumbar cistern’. That’s where you get a ‘spinal tap’ to sample your csf fluid for germs. It’s *still inside* the dura. The dura surrounds the whole length of the brain and spinal cord.

Note that they don’t call it a ‘spinal tap’ anymore. The call it a ‘lumbar puncture’ or ‘LP’. What does it puncture? It punctures the dura with a very sharp needle. What does the needle do when it punctures the dura? It sucks up a sample of csf fluid that’s inside of it.

Then they send the CSF fluid to a lab to check to see if you have meningitis, or Lyme disease, or multiple sclerosis, etc., etc.

But back to JBR: no, even if her heart was pumping you wouldn’t get an extrusion of blood from the orifices. But, you WOULD see an obvious compression of the brain and a hematoma, which they did not. And the excess pressure from that would get relieved by moving csf down the spine, to the low back.

Good question!