Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcript Testimony of John Fernie Colorado vs Thomas C. Miller trial June 13, 2001
Transcript Testimony of John Fernie
Colorado vs Thomas C. Miller trial
June 13, 2001

John Fernie and his wife, Barbara were called by Patsy Ramsey the morning of December 26, 1996 shortly after Patsy called 911 to report JonBenet Ramsey had been kidnapped. Three and a half years later, John Fernie was subpoenead to testify in the trial of the State of Colorado vs Thomas C. Miller, who was accused of conspiring to help Craig Lewis purchase a copy of the ransom note for $30,000 for the Globe.

John Fernie, "I drove my car into the -- up the alley and parked in the back of your house, and went around to the patio door, which was a glass door leading into the kitchen and back of the house, and didn't see anybody, but saw a piece of paper laying on the floor. Looked at that. It was facing the other direction. Read it. And after the first few lines realized something very strange was happening. And so I ran around to the front of the house and knocked on the door and was let in."

John Fernie: "I didn't pick it up. It was inside the door and I was outside. The door was locked. I read it through the door."

John Fernie: "Fleet and Priscilla White were there when I arrived. And my wife came shortly thereafter. And our -- Overstock, our priest, came afterwards as well."

John Fernie: "My recollection is that later in the day, when we were waiting for phone calls from the supposed kidnappers, we were sitting in the back room with a detective and trying to figure out what the note meant. And there was a copy of the note. I don't know if it was the note, or a copy of the note, actually."

During the testimony, John Fernie stated he was not given a copy of the note.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 February 18
Lawrence Schillers book
"Perfect Murder, Perfect Town

(PMPT Page 236):

"John Fernie was angry when he read Charlie Brennan's story about footprints. Like many media storeis, this one fame from an unnamed source and made the Ramseys look guilty. Fernie wondered if the souce was provided the reporter with all the facts. He knew that his own footprints were there in the snow that morning. He had driven up the back alley to the Ramseys' house just after 6:00 A.M. in response to Patsys' frantic call that terrible morning. He remembered walking along the brick sidewalk to the patio door, looking through the glass panel, and reading a line or two of the ransom note, which was lying on the floor just inside the door. Then he ran through the snow-covered grass, around the south side of the house, to the front door. If the cops had been looking, they would have found his footprints. A year and half after JonBenet's death, Fernie told a reporter that the police still had not checked the shoes he wore that day, though a shoe imprint had been discovered next to JonBenet's body."