Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ramsey on their friendship
starting from page 306 of the paperback edition of "the Death of Innocence": 

"As was the case with most of our social friendships, Patsy had met Priscilla and
her children first.  Their kids were almost the same ages as JonBenet and Burke.  Later, Fleet and I were introduced into an already blooming friendship. When we first met, they were renting a small house, two doors up the street from us.  The Whites told us that they had left California because they felt the fast life around Newport Beach was a poor place to raise children.  They had originally thought of moving to Aspen, where Fleet's parents had a home and where Fleet and Priscilla and their children had spent considerable time.  But even Aspen didn't suit what they were looking for.  Ultimately, they settled in Boulder after Fleet drove there one day and decided it was the perfect community for them. Our children became instant friends and enjoyed frequent trips to and from each other's houses, which they could accomplish on their own with complete freedom, via backyards or front sidewalks. That was one of the benefits of a small town, I thought.  Priscilla was a fun-loving, California girl who liked to entertain and had a good sense of humor.  She and Patsy quickly hit it off, and they enjoyed each other's company. 
 The moms soon discovered that Fleet and I shared a penchant for sailing, as well.  It is rare that dads and moms and both children synchronize so easily.  Both sets of parents were older, and that added to the similarities.
 "The newspapers later would refer to Fleet as an oil magnate.  His father, Fleet White, Sr., was reported to have had a natural gas drilling company in California.  He may have worked for his dad for a period of time before coming to Colorado, but as far as I know, Fleet did not work at a steady job during the time I knew him in Boulder.  At one point he was trying to help his dad clean up some environmental issues at a gas station they owned in California, and he spoke of trying to get something started with some Denver businessman.
"Fleet was mainly my sailing buddy.  He occasionally talked of being an ardent sailor in the Newport Beach area and proudly displayed many models of the sailboats he had raced.  He spoke of a silver loving cup which bears his name and is on permanent display at the Newport Beach Yacht Club.  He was a very experienced sailor.  I was not.  I could learn a great
deal from him.  Whenever we were together, sailing was our singular topic of conversation. Since he didn't have a nine-to-five job as I did, Fleet was free to be the coordinator of logistics for our sailing ventures."
Seems to be a reasonable summary, though perhaps it reflects a bit of the naiveity of the entire Ramsey family.

Fleet Oil had scholarships and summer intern jobs for Cal State Dominques Hills (near Newport Beach). It has alot of overrides on wells in the area and drilling there has to be precise yet is still very speculative.

FW proved to be strange as the case developed, but lets face it: One that all important Day One, he showed up and did yoman duty as a friend and as an investigator, so bugging the heck out of Do Nothing Linda that she concocted a make work assignment to get him out of her hair.

After that things deteriorated, but AFTER a murder is of very little significance. BEFORE is what counts.