Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies in the ransom note
Thought I would share this Frank Coffman opinion piece here for those looking for clues in the note.  A few of the facts at the end are wrong but he hits the movie stuff pretty well.

The Premeditated Murder of JonBenet

By Frank Coffman

"...there are at least two people that know who did this, and that is the killer and

someone that that person may have confided in." - Patsy Ramsey, May 1

Ever since JonBenét Ramsey was found dead, there have been signs that her murder was a premeditated crime, not a spur of the moment act.  The method of killing indicates a degree of planning; she was strangled with a garrote, made by attaching a nylon cord to a stick.  The person who prepared that instrument of murder obviously thought ahead and wasn't just acting on a momentary impulse.

Now, there is more evidence of premeditation.  The ransom note shows signs of being conceived in advance of the murder.  According to published reports, some of the ransom note was derived from movie plots and dialogue, which are quoted fairlyu accurately, indicating that the writer must have seen these movies in the recent past.

Incredibly, the killer drew upon Hollywood movies for guidance on how to concoct a believable ransom note.  One line in the ransom note is obviously lifted directly from the movie "Speed" (1994).  The ransom note contains the quip: "Don't try to grow a brain," which is the same line that the psycho-killer blurts out in "Speed."

The writer of the ransom note also borrowed from the plot to "Dirty Harry" (1979), another film about a psycho killer who tried to extort a ransom.  As in "Dirty Harry", the note asserts that the kidnapper will be watching covertly and that the ransom exchange will be a physical ordeal. 

The note writer also liked the warning in "Dirty Harry" about not talking to anyone, not even to a dog, which turned up in the ransom note as don't "talk to a stray dog."  The note used obscure lines of dialogue that no one would be able to recall unless he had watched the film recently.

The killer turned to movies about ransom situations for ideas about how to disguise the murder as a kidnapping.  The killer staged the fake abduction to divert suspicion away from himself.  There is evidence the ransom note was written in the house.

Soon after the murder, some observers noticed similarities between the ransom note and the movie "Ransom," which was playing in Boulder at the time of the murder.  In "Ransom," Mel Gibson plays a self-made multi-millionaire businessman (which describes John Ramsey) whose child is grabbed by a group of kidnappers led by a man who dislikes the father.

The note-writer's memory of these films, as reflected int he note, are too intact for him to have simply recollected films he saw years ago.  He must have reviewed movies about kidnappings shortly before the murder.  Only movies with ransom plots show up in the note.  He seems to have worked out the kidnapping charade before he committed the murder.

What can we tell about the killer from the language in the ransom note?  The note-writer uses correct English.  There is no bad grammar, no profanities, no slang.  The note has proper margins and indented paragraphs.  The writer seems to be educated.

The threats in the ransom note are stated in a conservative, almost polite form:
    "The two gentlemen who have your daughter don't like you.  We advise you not to provoke them ... We respect your business, but not the country it serves  ... We advise you to be well rested."

This is hardly the language of the street.

The note's mannerly style indicates that a sophisticated person was trying to sound like a criminal.  he borrowed tough talk from movies, but his true identity keeps showing through.  For instance, instead of asking for the money in a suitcase, the note specifies "an attache case," the mark of a businessman or professional person.

If there was an intruder, he seems to know his way around the Ramsey home.  He found JonBenét's bedroom without disturbing the other occupants.  The intruder didn't stumble into the wrong bedroom or wake up anyone.  He wasn't a stranger to the house.

Some commentators have theorized that the murder started as an accident, perhaps during a family fight, when JonBenét was struck with a blow intended for someone else.  But that theory fails because if she was hit in the head by accident, one of her parents would have dialed 911 or rushed her to the emergency room to save her life.  They wouldn't have proceeded to strangle her to death, unless there was a desire to kill her in the first place.

There is no sensible way to explain away heer death as an accident.  JonBenét was struck in the head with a well-aimed blow of great force, enough to fracture her skull and knock her out.  She was then strangled.  The cause of death was "asphyxia by strangulation."

There are indications that JonBenét was killed in her bedroom: when she was found dead, her body was wrapped in a blanket from her bed and dressed in a nightie.  Her brother knows nothing about the murder because he was asleep.  Presumably, JonBenét had also gone to bed.

The crime apparently occurred after bedtime, which is hardly the time for a parent to get into a violent fight with a child.  The circumstances don't fit a rage killing.  Apparently, JonBenét was in her bed, possibly sleeping, when someone with murderous intent entered her room.
VERBAL RANSOM FROM MOVIE "RUTHLESS PEOPLE" STARING DANNY DEVITO (Comedy):
Mr. Stone,
Listen very carefully !! We have kidnapped your wife. We have no qualms about killing and will do so at the slightest provocation. Do you understand? I don’t like repeating myself. Do you understand? You are to obtain a new black American Tourestor brief case, model #8104. Do you understand? In it you will place five hundred thousand dollars in unmarked non-consequential one hundred dollar bills. Do you understand? Monday morning at eleven you will proceed with case in hand to Hope Street Plaza and wait for a phone to ring. You will receive further instructions then. Do you understand? You will be watched at all phases of execution. If anyone is with you or if action is not carried out to our complete satisfaction it will be considered an infraction to the rules and your wife will be killed. Do you understand? If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in anyway, she will be killed. Do you understand?
END OF RANSOM INSTRUCTIONS
This was a comedy movie and Mr. Stone (Danny Devito) wanted his wife killed anyway so he didn't follow any of the instructions, he called the police and the media immediately.
VERBAL RANSOM FROM MOVIE "RUTHLESS PEOPLE" STARING DANNY DEVITO (Comedy):
Mr. Stone,
Listen very carefully !! We have kidnapped your wife. We have no qualms about killing and will do so at the slightest provocation. Do you understand?

(Who the Hell is this? Is this some kind of joke?)

I have no patience for stupid questions, Mr. Stone, and I don’t like repeating myself. Do you understand?

(All right, I'm sorry. Please continue.)

You are to obtain a new black American Tourestor brief case, model #8104. Do you understand?

(Yes.)

In it you will place five hundred thousand dollars in unmarked non-consequential one hundred dollar bills. Do you understand?

(Sure.)

Monday morning at eleven you will proceed with case in hand to Hope Street Plaza and wait for a phone to ring. You will receive further instructions then. Do you understand?

(Yes, I do.)

You will be watched at all phases of execution. If anyone is with you or if action is not carried out to our complete satisfaction it will be considered an infraction to the rules and your wife will be killed. Do you understand?

(I believe so.)

If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in anyway, she will be killed. Do you understand?

(Perfectly.)

END OF RANSOM INSTRUCTIONS SCENE
This was a comedy movie. Mr. Stone (Danny Devito) had been making plans to murder his wife so he didn't follow any of the instructions, he called the police and the media immediately and did everything he could to push the kidnappers to kill her. Meanwhile, his wife (Bette Midler) was chained to a bed in the basement of her abductors. Having nothing to do but watch TV, she started exercising, lost weight, made friends with her captors then understood her husband had refused to pay the ransom. She teamed up with the couple and....watch the movie.
Email ransom demand from the movie RANSOM 85 words – 344 characters

I have your son. I want $ 2 million in fifties and hundreds. No consecutive serial numbers. No new bills. No marked bills. The money will fit into two Samsonite hard-shell suitcases, model #260. Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him. Do not inform the media, or I will kill him. No tracking devices in the money or the cases, or I will kill him. You have 48 hours to get the money. I will contact you.
COPIED AND PASTED FROM ONLINE TRANSCRIPT OF MOVIE DIRTY HARRY - 1971

What's your name?
Callahan.
What are you?
Police officer. Hello?
All right, police officer, this is how we play. I bounce you all over town to make sure you're alone.
If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies.
If you talk to anyone, even if it's a Pekinese pissing on a lamppost, the girl dies.
Is the girl okay?
Just shut up and listen. No car. I give you some time to go from phone booth to phone booth.
I ring 4 times. You don 't answer by the fourth ring. that's the end of the game. The girl dies. What time you got?
9:30.
Now listen... You listen. I'm watching you. Not all the time, but you'll never know when or where. Now get to Forest Hills Station as fast as you can. Understand?
Yeah.
I hope you're not stupid. Downstairs. Take the "K" car. Get off at Church and 20th. Hurry up, or you'll blow it.
You sound like you had a good rest. You'll need it. I'm going to give you a nice little run this time. You better make it, because if you don't, dead girl!
Quotes from SPEED - released in 1994

What do you want?

I want money, Jack.

I wish I had some loftier purpose,...

..but I'm afraid in the end it's just the money, Jack.

I would like large non-sequential bills...

..in two clear plastic bags, unmarked.

Can you remember all that?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jack, nothing tricky now.

You know that I'm on top of you.

Do not attempt to grow a brain.